Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pandangan Pengalaman

I have lived in a semi-urban environment almost all my life. In touch with both the urban mindset and those rural areas?. So how has this affected my life in general? Well I think this has impacted to my ordinarism1 (if there was such a word). I have always thought of myself as the quintessential average person. I know not much of anything and not little of anything either which makes me generally average in terms of knowledge.

Where this then diverge is in my personality. I don't have an average personality in a general context. It has come to my attention that at an early age I saw things differently than most people because I take knowledge that's mainly general but on a different angle. In other words, a bulk of general information that is distributed evenly amongst us and I pick a different segment (an normally the most unpopular one at that!) than anyone else.

At school, most people in my class was there because 1. they were sent there by the school (or picked, whichever you see fit) and 2. they had a good idea of the science stream. I didn't have both except that's slightly untrue for the first one because I was sent to a science stream but doubtfully picked. Ha ha. I had a liking towards more factual medium such as history but I wasn't fully aware of it back then since I was trying to catch up on the "core" science subjects namely chemistry and add maths.

As I jab at making sense of everything I find that this piece of information is not particularly parallel with my big question of is passion for something give that much leverage in one's knowledge? Of course the general answer would be yes, but in a detailed look at things does this apply to everything else you have knowledge of especially those that are sprung from experiences? Do I know more about a bicycle after having the experience not only using it but also maintaining it without any passion behind it than just mere passion about it? Confusing? Good.

Esok Harga panadol naik! Ha ha ha. Supply and demand people..supply and demand...

It seems that there is no such word by using blogger's spellchecker [1]

5 comments:

Akmal Azeman said...

since WHEN did u get as philosophical as THIS? and the previous entry? the previous one before that? well. that means one thing: da lame gile aku tak dtg sini LOL~!

anyway. the answer is yes la. when u learn something from experience but without passion, you'll learn it well but you wont know much and you wont explore more depths than wat u already knw. n it made a huge different when u get to do things ur passionate for because everything will come to u naturally n u dont need to try super hard to be good at it. it will simply be a talent or some sort.

owh. btw. i went for the sign because 1) i was assigned to it. 2) i was following the "trend". i wish we were given more choices than stereotypical everything among the students.

Akmal Azeman said...

*science pfft! no spellchecker right? lol~!

Zulhilmi said...

sungguh "trendy" mengambil science stream...i have another theory on the science stream at school though..but thats for another time..

Zulhilmi said...

just to add:my example of the bicycle was between one with experience but no passion and one with just passion without experience..
this will be better define like this.

Person A: has knowledge of a bicycle by using it and maintaining it without passion..

while

Person B: Has passion for bicycle but cannot experience it due to say lack of ability (i.e an amputee)..

so which one has a better sense of knowledge regarding the issue??

Akmal Azeman said...

damn. u should do philosphy. not account. lol~!