Thursday, January 21, 2010

Telinga bengkak

After what seems like forever, I came back. Even though it has only been 4 days, I'm back at home. Ha ha. I have a hard time to quickly adapt I guess. Yes, 3 semesters per year yet I still have a hard time. Enough of the yip yaps, there are far more questionable materials to unravel but since I'm not into politics, lets just leave it at that. Ha ha.

If your like everyone else, there is slightly more chance of you liking music than the political scene. Whether you own only one album or more it would be hard to find a person who can live without music. It is like living life without colors. I have this knack for music of the past. I'm an oldie they say. Even the choice of songs I hear today are not what your normal radio stations play (this has now been a major influence in the local music industry as it tries to reignite itself, but is another story altogether). The lyrical content of today's songs are very much questionable to say the least. There are fewer genuine singer-songwriters today that has caught the attention. Even up to the 90's we could still see a good amount of these people making it to the popular music scene in the likes of Jewel, Alanis Morrisette and bands like No Doubt or the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now I find that to search for the type of artist that expands ones minds I need to search outside of the popular music scene.

Don't get me wrong, there are some inside the chart topping circle that are good songwriters but they seem like a dying bread. Taylor Swift for one has caught the attention of many with her down to earth relatable songs. One thing that a song should do is have it relate to the listeners which I find confusing in a current world with more show than talent. Even the hip hop scene, which was once glorified by the lyrical production, has now became more of a booty shaking extravaganza than anything else. The one who has still caught my ear to this day with his lyrics is Jay Z. Even Eminem has faded a bit (although this might be because he is producing more behind the scenes).

So here I salute thee, singer-songwriters. Ha ha.

No comments: