Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I sent you to school and all I get is this?

As I woke up today, I had this burning sensation to actually clarify why I actually do what I do (which for the most part nothing). What I'am micro focusing on at this moment in time is writing.

As early on in my childhood I have never liked reading. Reading to me was a chore and still am for certain books. My theory is that when you start reading, the books that are given to you are generally fictitious stories or mythological reads. It's at this point your personality begin to stereotype books and its just a question of whether you like reading or not.

As kids we tend to have two sides of everything and stereotyping what we know. The black and white of life. My dislike of books got me out of the house to play outdoors. Which began my infatuation with sports. Along with sports and school, television filled my day almost everyday. Those Japanese cartoons that made us all do silly stuff and eventually made us quite brand conscious at the time. Not your high profile brands but at the time, the difference between a tamiya made car and a rip off in audi was huge. Some will nod in agreement and some would be puzzled but that was the "it" thing at the time. I remember the days of the digimons, tamiya's, yo-yo's and all that other stuff people were into in those days *cough cough*.

The turning point of my reading phobia was when I got an autobiography on Bill Gates. Who other than my dad to give me that book. Now this book was huge. It was bigger thicker than all the form 4 and 5 textbooks put together. I mean, if I wasn't reading those, why in the world would I read this? I thought. To those who didn't know me back then, I was into business (even though it is a very different situation now, which made me think of the saying you don't know what you got until it's gone, but that would be a totally different story altogether). I sold numerous of things when I was a kid. Trading cards, pucks, books, cds that were mostly based around my friends. I never thought of going big or anything like that though. Just enough to get by I said. I had worked in retail even before PMR by helping out with my mom's store. This is where I think I developed my retail brain calculator (which, I think, is why my mom and friends like having me around to shop with). Anyway, back to the real story. I started reading the book slowly. I am no fast reader (if you see me reading fast, then I'm probably not gonna realize what I just read by the time I finish reading it). I was fascinated in reading the experiences this guy went through, and by looking at the book, you knew he had plenty.

This got me thirsty for autobiographies but since I wasn't "mature" enough to read most biographies I was left with mostly inspirational leaders to read into which became quite a bore later onwards. So here is where I think my infatuation with history started. So I got more non-fiction books to read. Until this day I mostly read non-fictitious books but now I'm mostly reading about popular cultures.

A-ny-way, after reading autobiographies and liking them, I began to make my essays at school more factual which didn't go so well with my dad after he found out that I wrote the story of how he decided to marry my mom, but it did get me an A though and it did get to the 200 words mark (or was it 500). Ha ha. So I began to flirt with fiction after that. Some more semi-fictitious. It has been a twisted ride on my evolution in writing but I hope it does not end here even though I think that my writing is getting awful by the day. I still like doing it. Ya, like, bukan love.

And all the while you were reading this you once thought to yourself, what the fuck?! Spread the pain people. Spread the pain.
Ha ha.

No comments: